International hauliers urged to apply for ECMT permits as a no-deal Brexit contingency

Commercial Motor
November 1, 2018


The government is advising international hauliers to be prepared for a possible no-deal exit from the EU by obtaining new travel permits.

Government advice suggests that if there is no deal it is possible that UK hauliers will need an ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) permit in order to travel in Europe.

To get such a permit in time, hauliers will have to make an application between 26 November and 21 December.

The process of making that application means that hauliers must be registered on the Vehicle Operator Licensing System by 12 November, just a few days away.

At the moment the UK issues community licences to cover international journeys. These licences are recognised by the EU, but the fear is that if there is no deal that recognition might be withdrawn and an ECMT permit required.

The government has issued a factsheet about the process EU driving after Brexit.

By David Harris

About the Author


Commercial Motor is the online presence for Commercial Motor magazine, the world’s oldest magazine dedicated to the commercial vehicle industry.

It is your online source for the best new and used trucks and trailers in the UK - plus the latest news, and the best buying advice you'll find in the industry.

All of the dealers listed have been are visited by our field sales team in person at their premises and our editorial team are constantly out and about speaking to dealers, operators and suppliers - this helps build really great market knowledge that assists you.

Articles published by the author Commercial Motor may be collaborative efforts by our journalists or contain significant elements obtained from press releases or company statements. They have, however, still been written and checked by our expert editorial team.

Share this article

Vehicle Type