Staying alert to fraud when buying a used truck or trailer
Commercial vehicle buyers should be wary of falling victim to fraud when looking for their next used truck or trailer, ensuring they can trust the seller before any money is transferred.
Although there have been no known instances of buyers being targeted through Commercialmotor.com, the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau has advised that fraudsters have been using various online vendors to entice vehicle buyers.
Fraudsters sometimes purport to be third party escrow providers (which hold onto payment until both the buyer and seller are happy with the deal) to persuade victims to pay upfront before they have the opportunity to collect goods from the seller. This gives them the false impression that their money is in safe hands.
Before making a purchase, buyers are advised to:
- Meet the seller face-to-face and ask to see the vehicle before transferring any money
- Check for spelling, grammar, the sender’s email address, and any other errors, if you receive a suspicious email asking for payment
- Contact the third party the email claims to be from to determine whether it is legitimate or not
- Be cautious of deals that look ‘too good to be true’ – fraudsters often offer goods at low prices to entice victims.
If you suspect you have seen a scam advert on Commercialmotor.com, please email email@example.com and we will investigate further.
DB International takes delivery of three Actros tractor units from City West Commercials
City West Commercials has delivered three Mercedes-Benz Actros tractor units to Bristol-based DB International.
The new arrivals are all 2545 models with flat-floored GigaSpace cabs, colour-coded bumpers and door mirror covers, alloy wheels, light bars, beacons and Style-Line interiors ith chrome-effect trim. The 12.8-litre, OM471 straight-six engines produce 450hp and drive through Mercedes' PowerShift 3 automated transmissions.
They are also equipped with optional Predictive Powertrain Control systems. DB International’s trucks work with the operator’s Euroliner, curtainsider and platform trailers.
During the summer it delivers large marquees along with power, sound and lighting equipment to concerts and music festivals. The operator acquired its latest units with funding support from Mercedes-Benz Financial Services and they came with two years’ free Mercedes-Benz R&M cover.
DB International proprietor David Bryans said: “The finance rates are very competitive, and I have the option of extending the R&M when the first two years are up.”
- Check out our dedicated City West Commercials dealer page if you're in the market for a truck - it's full of the latest deals.