Company fined £9,400 after employee falls from lorry bed


A company has been fined £9,400 after its employee fell from a lorry bed while unloading it in South East Wales.

The worker suffered multiple fractures following the fall from height at the premises of Braithwaite Engineers in Risca, Monmouthshire in October 2017.

Cwmbran Magistrates Court heard how his injuries, which included fractures of the head, ribs, shoulder blade and fingers, led to the employee missing more than five months of work.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company, which manufactures steel water storage tanks and supporting towers, had failed to provide employees with suitable and clear instructions and training so that staff did not access lorry beds in an unsafe manner.

Braithwaite Engineers pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and was ordered to pay costs of £1,680.75.

Speaking after the case HSE inspector Will Powell said: “Falls from vehicles can be overlooked by employers when considering risks from work at height. Simple measures would have prevented this accident.”

Earlier this year, the all-party parliamentary group on working at height published a report making four recommendations to reduce the overall number of falls.

These included the introduction of an enhanced reporting system through RIDDOR, the appointment of an independent body allowing confidential reporting of all near misses and an equivalent system to Scotland’s fatal accident inquiry process extended to the rest of the UK.

UK drivers working for EU companies told to exchange qualification before October 31st

Drivers who work for EU companies and have a UK Driver CPC qualification have been told to consider exchanging it before 31 October, so that they can work for British or continental firms after Brexit.

The DVSA said exchanging the qualification for an EU one will enable HGV drivers to retain the ability to work for EU and UK hauliers, but it must be done “as soon as possible”.

In guidance issued in order to explain how to prepare for Brexit in the event of a no-deal scenario, the DVSA said drivers will still need the Driver CPC and they must also complete their periodic training.

However, drivers don’t need to do anything else if they’re a UK driver working for a UK company.

If they work for an EU haulier and hold a UK Driver CPC qualification, then they should consider exchanging it.

“The way you do this will depend on how the country where you live and work recognises Driver CPC,” it said.

“Some countries use a Driver CPC card like the UK does - this is sometimes called a driver qualification card.

“[Some countries] add code 95 to the driving licence.

“Some countries recognise either method.”

The DVSA also warned that British passports may need to be renewed earlier if drivers are travelling after a no-deal Brexit and that they’ll also need to carry a green card as proof of motor insurance.

More information can be found here: