Demolition business crumbles after Eastbourne PI

demolition site rubble

A traffic commissioner refused the voluntary surrender of two O-licences connected to a director who presided over demolition businesses with serious and widespread deficiencies, revoking them instead.

In a written decision following an Eastbourne public inquiry, John Baker, deputy traffic commissioner for the South Eastern and Metropolitan area, said Dennis Read, director of both Capital Demolition and Capital Demolition (UK) had written to him saying he would not be attending and asking to surrender his licences. It had been noted that Capital Demolition (UK) had been placed into liquidation, but the DTC said it was not appropriate to accept the surrender.

A roadside encounter that prompted the PI found one of Read’s vehicles was being driven by a driver with no CPC qualification. In addition, the tachograph had not been downloaded for 409 days and a follow-up maintenance inspection carried out by a vehicle examiner at Capital Demolition identified numerous shortcomings and breaches of undertakings. Another visit four months later showed there had been little improvement.

The DTC heard that Read’s son had been in control of both companies when some of the compliance failings occurred and in his decision he said it appeared “that Mr Read, by his own omission, delegated responsibility for compliance to others and it is assumed that he did not check whether they were achieving what was required.”

Revoking both licences, he added that he wasn’t disqualifying Read, but that if he applied for one in the future, the current circumstances would be taken into account.


Jail for lorry driver after U-turn fog crash

An HGV driver who attempted a U-turn on a “dark and foggy” road, resulting in a collision with a police car, has been jailed for three and a half years. Andrei Stan was found guilty at Reading Crown Court of causing serious injury by dangerous driving after the incident on an unlit stretch of the A4 near Hungerford in February 2019.

Thames Valley police said Stan’s trailer was carrying a shipping container and was positioned across the entire carriageway for 51 seconds, up to the point of impact.

PC Matt Midwinter, who was driving, suffered significant injuries, as did PC Kieren Baker and both continue to receive ongoing intensive medical treatment.

Detective Sergeant Tony Jenkins, senior investigator officer, said: “This collision was significant and left two of our officers with lifelong serious injuries. The incident has greatly impacted on their lives and that of their family and friends. Specially trained family liaison officers have supported them throughout.

“During the trial Stan informed the court he did not believe the manoeuvre to be dangerous and he would complete it again. Thankfully, today he has been convicted.”

DS Jenkins added: “My thoughts remain very much with the officers involved and their families. I further wish to commend the response of all emergency services on the night and the lifesaving actions they completed.”