O-licence law; driver’s hours law, driving standards… all the compliance news you need. Driver licence law, financial regulations, environmental regulations… all the guidance you need. Health and safety regulations, legislation changes, new policy proposals… all the advice you need to keep your fleet running.

And why not register for our Compliance Bulletin to receive the latest legal and fleet management advice fortnightly? Sign up free now

Operator fined after worker hit by flying scrap metal

A London-based waste operator has been prosecuted after a worker was stuck by a flying piece of scrap metal at its site. The unnamed man suffered serious injuries to the head and face in the incident that took place at Metal & Waste Recycling’s site in Cradley Heath, near Stourbridge in the West Midlands, in December 2013.

HGV seized after operator breaches waste management rules

The owner of a recycling business has had an HGV seized by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) and been fined after breaching waste management rules. Peter Antony Burke, who trades as BBR Recycling, was found operating without the relevant waste management licence or an exemption to deposit or store tyres at its Largy Road, Crumlin, County Antrim site.

Health and safety fines rise to a maximum of £20m

"Companies that breach health and safety law could face fines of up to £20m as of today (1 February) as new sentencing guidelines for health and safety and corporate manslaughter offences come into force."  

Haulier wins appeal following TC error

A prospective haulier has won an appeal to have his application for an O-licence reconsidered after the Upper Tribunal ruled that traffic commissioner (TC) Joan Aitken made an error when she refused to grant one last year.

Worker hit by car while assisting reversing HGV

A Shropshire operator must pay £12,500 in fines and costs after a worker died while attempting to assist a reversing truck. On 27 January, Mold Crown Court was told that Philip Ledward was hit by a passing car while assisting one of Arkenfield Stable Hire’s HGV drivers to manoeuvre the vehicle. He received fatal injuries from the incident, which happened in November 2011 at the operator’s Boundary Garage, Ellesmere Road, Bronington premises.